I outset tasted pastrami-spiced, smoked duck thorax close xv years ago, as well as always since I’ve wondered how it would live on used inward a classic Reuben sandwich. I never got closed to to genuinely trying it, simply this is close, as well as I’m going to say, way, agency better.
This was 1 of the to a greater extent than delicious as well as interesting duck thorax preparations I’ve had inward a rattling long time. The pastrami spices are perfect amongst the duck meat, as well as the crisp, cheesy rye was a worthy base. The quick slaw as well as mustard dressing helped residual the richness, as well as similar I said inward the video, the terminal results were stunning.
The cardinal here, equally it is amongst whatsoever duck thorax recipe, is to non overcooked meat. I similar to larn close 5 or half dozen minutes on the peel side, until prissy as well as crusty, as well as hence plow it over as well as proceed until the thorax springs dorsum nether your touch. Obviously, the cooking times I bring upward inward the video volition depend on how large the breasts are. Mine were close 5 ounces, which I establish to live on the perfect size for this.
If you’re using a thermometer, you’ll desire to shoot for close 135–140 internal temperature. This volition hand you lot gorgeous, pink, juicy meat, that volition competition the finest steak. If you lot tin cause produce the persuasion of eating a sandwich amongst a fork as well as knife, I genuinely promise you lot hand this amazing pastrami-spiced duck thorax Reuben a endeavor soon. Enjoy!
Ingredients for 2 portions:
- 2 duck breast, boneless, skin-on (mine were 5-oz each)
- For the rub:
- 1 tbsp olive fossil oil or to a greater extent than equally needed
- 1 tbsp Blue Planet dark pepper
- 2 tsp Blue Planet coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dry out mustard
- pinch cayenne
For the Reuben:
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1/4 loving cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon reserved duck fat
- 2 cups chopped Green cabbage
- 2-3 tablespoons Russian or Thousand Islands dressing
- 2 tablespoons mustard dressing (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 loving cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 loving cup olive oil
- salt as well as pepper to taste