Hot Cross Buns
Pretty much all I know nearly hot cross buns, I learned from the plant nursery rhyme, but thank y’all to a recipe I flora on Anson Mills, I was nevertheless able to brand a fairly decent batch. Including existent crosses, non to endure confused amongst dinner rolls on which an icing cross has been piped.
In add-on to its eye-catching appearance, the dough-based “cross” provides an interesting textual contrast, every bit it gets form of chewy, in addition to crispy edged.
Like I said inward the video, whatever sweetness dough volition move amongst this slowly technique, peculiarly rich, in addition to fragrant examples, similar our Italian Easter Bread dough. Times may vary, but regardless of the dough, merely hold off for the dough to double inward size, in addition to proceed.
If y’all desire to move all your buns the same size, weight your dough inward grams earlier dividing, in addition to hence carve upward past times 16. Then, weight each of your dough balls to that exact amount, in addition to boom, your tray of buns volition hold off similar the ones y’all saw on that magazine cover. Or, precisely eyeball it in addition to get got your chances. Either way, I actually promise y’all laissez passer on this a endeavor soon. Enjoy!
Ingredients for xv or xvi Hot Cross Buns:
Recipe slightly adapted from this 1 from Anson Mills
- 1/4 loving cup currants, soaked inward hot rum for an hr or two
- 3/4 loving cup milk warmed to 100 F.
- 1 packet dry out active yeast
- 1 tablespoon each orangish in addition to lemon zest
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 loving cup addition 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dry reason cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon dry reason nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dry reason cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 cups breadstuff *flour, addition to a greater extent than if needed
* concord dorsum a niggling of the flour until y’all certain y’all bespeak it. You tin ever add, but can’t remove!
For the crosses:
- 1/4 loving cup water
- 1/3 loving cup all-purpose flour, addition to a greater extent than to brand a thin, pipe-able dough
- Bake at 425 F. for nearly xv minutes
- For the glaze:
- 1/4 loving cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cook syrup to 225 F., in addition to brush over warm