Hot Cross Buns
Pretty much all I know nearly hot cross buns, I learned from the plant nursery rhyme, but thank y’all to a recipe I flora on Anson Mills, I was nevertheless able to brand a fairly decent batch. Including existent crosses, non to endure confused amongst dinner rolls on which an icing cross has been piped.
In add-on to its eye-catching appearance, the dough-based “cross” provides an interesting textual contrast, every bit it gets form of chewy, in addition to crispy edged.
- 1/4 loving cup currants, soaked inward hot rum for an hr or two
- 3/4 loving cup milk warmed to 100 F.
- 1 packet dry out active yeast
- 1 tablespoon each orangish in addition to lemon zest
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 loving cup addition 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dry reason cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon dry reason nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dry reason cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 cups breadstuff *flour, addition to a greater extent than if needed
- 1/4 loving cup water
- 1/3 loving cup all-purpose flour, addition to a greater extent than to brand a thin, pipe-able dough
- Bake at 425 F. for nearly xv minutes
- For the glaze:
- 1/4 loving cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cook syrup to 225 F., in addition to brush over warm